Thursday 18 July 2013

 
There were few artists and illustrators in the 1920's through to the 1950's which had the very remarkable skills of Leslie Carr. This highly evocative picture -in print form- graces my workshop wall and seems to capture the very spirit of motorcycle racing at one period in time. The Norton and the AJS seem like wild monsters battling for the lead.
 
Leslie Carr also did ships and steam trains and I have memories of his work in books as a child. Some towns had tourist posters as well by him. Anyone interested in cars as well as bikes may know that he did a similar style of work of the Le Mans D-Type Jaguar competing about - I think- 1957 and it is with the Glasgow Art Galleries and Museums - but I believe in their reserve stores.
 
 
As a "homage" to my late father I still use his old brass petrol tap, not only because of sentiment but because it is the only one I know never leaks !
 

No comments:

Post a Comment